Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Cedars ~

I keep circling round a project of painting cedars, remembering a single (I thought successful) ink drawing of them, done back in the 80s, and thinking surely I can do something with them again. The shapes and colors of cedars are unique - nothing else has the texture, or that multi-shade of green that seems to have maroon hidden inside it. Or blood. Which fits with the Cherokee legend that the powerful red fragrance of the cedar heartwood is a stain that dripped, long ago, from the decapitated head of an overly dangerous ancient sorcerer. Today was blustery and the cedars were even better in cloud darkened motion. Maybe I can settle on something in these images to paint!





3 comments:

Kim said...

The clouds in the middle image appear to be vibrating with electricity. (Or maybe I've been too long at the computer? lol.) I wonder if that effect can be captured in a painting?

SBD said...

In the cedars, a small hidden village exists... go with care as you paint their faces will appear

Alan (Evil) Miller said...

I took some cedar shots (is a stand of cedars called a cedar cosp?) down by where you think the original Dutton house was. I'll see if I can find them. I have some good shots from Dave's farm as well. They're difficult to capture.