Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Lucky in Love ~






















I've been working on this painting forever, or nearly. I know that it started back in the 80s. At first it was a black canvas with cobalt thumb prints. It even had a title; "Sylvannia" ~ both a joke on the TV brand blue screen with pixels, and in a deeper sense of the woods at night - one of the primal fears of humanity, so I've read, but I love the woods at night. I thought of doing a similar painting, a collection of hundreds of 4 leaf clovers sealed into the paint layers. That one was going to be called "Life of Idleness" ~ but I never did it.

I've always thought of myself as the luckiest man alive. But like Pan I figured the downside was a lack of luck in love.

In the 90s, at Robb's urging, I painted the figure of a crouching blue man on the field of thumb dots. This was partly to make up for the temporary loss of an earlier painting - "Rain in the Cornfield" that I loved. The being in that one was modeled on the body of my lover at the time.

Several years ago I started embedding objects in the paint layers - a sea shell, a piece of sequined cloth, a random shape of plywood left over from something I'd cut out - then a heart shape. I almost titled it Venus' Bed, but at the time, it seemed like something I didn't know that much about.

A few nights ago I dreamt that the movie producers I was working with offered me some books needed for my research, if I could climb through the challenges to get them. It was almost like that Japanese tv show contest of physical skills - Ninja Mountain. There were four books, but in my glance I could only get the gist of what two of them were ~ one was my completed collected works (The Ominichronic! Huge.) ~ but that would be posthumous, right? - and cheating. I was tempted. The other was nearly as large, titled simply "Cobalt." I didn't make it through the gauntlet to snag them, (the dream changed...) but the two wondrous books that got away inspired me regardless.

I'm calling this one "Lucky in Love."

3 comments:

Cathy said...

That's so beautiful, Dan! I want to dive into it...the texture is wonderful.

SBD said...

What Cathy sai, who could say it better?

SBD said...

What Cathy said, who could say it better?