Friday, April 16, 2010

Adire Eleko



It took some doing to get it here, but on Tuesday this beautiful piece of cloth arrived from Nigeria. My friend Oyeniyi made this piece of Adire Eleko, traditional Yoruba indigo dyed batik, that I'm planning to use in You'll Always Come Back. Most people are aware of the connection between cotton and slavery in the Southern US., but not so many are aware of the important role that indigo played in the slave trade. Slaves were brought from Yorubaland especially because of their expertise in growing and processing indigo. One result of that infamous history appears in many a wardrobe ~ blue jeans.

1 comment:

vivyqueen said...

I am yoruba but I have been looking for someone that can make this traditional adire for me. Can I have Oyeniyi's contact please.