Friday, January 8, 2010

A Prayer for my Mom ~



The singer of part of the beautyway chant in the second half of this little film is my Dine' (Navaho) friend, Delphine Tsinajinnie, one of the great traditional singers of our time. The Dine' language does not translate easily into English, and this well-known prayer says something more than the English translation would suggest. Still, it seems a fitting prayer for my Mom, who loved to take walks. And when you walked with her, you were surrounded by beauty.

Blessingway:

In beauty may I walk.
All day long may I walk.

Through the returning seasons may I walk.
On the trail marked with pollen may I walk.
With grasshoppers about my feet may I walk.
With dew about my feet may I walk.

With beauty may I walk.
With beauty before me, may I walk.
With beauty behind me, may I walk.
With beauty above me, may I walk.
With beauty below me, may I walk.
With beauty all around me, may I walk.

In old age wandering on a trail of beauty, lively, may I walk.
In old age wandering on a trail of beauty, remembering, may I walk.
In beauty, it is completed.
In beauty, it is complete.

5 comments:

Provide sustainable solutions to grassroot people said...

i've just read the prayer....It is finished in beauty but beauty is communicative and beauty can change anything it surrounds and therefore beauty never departs us, it remains in our memories for ever and ever.
From Africa-Cameroon
Hervé Serge Amoa

Provide sustainable solutions to grassroot people said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dan Dutton said...

Thanks for helping me get this (closer to) right, Herve'

Cathy said...

Very beautiful, and so perfect for Cebah.

Apifera Farm said...

And so shall she walk, Dan. We love you.