Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Flying Squirrel Pie:


What are these strange shapes, ghastly pale with
shining eyes, that haunt my kitchen?
Are they the dead?

No, they're flying squirrels
in my flour bin.

You've heard of Shoofly Pie, surely, but have you tasted it? It's a Pennsylvania Dutch breakfast pie, very good with coffee. I've made one adjustment in a recipe from the late 1800s, and renamed it Flying Squirrel Pie, since they've invaded my kitchen.
The only trick to this pie is that you must have good sorghum molasses to make it. Go to the Amish. Brer Rabbit Molasses will make another sort of pie, and not one that you'll be proud of.

My Dad had a story ~ "There were three moles going along one after the other in their tunnel to have breakfast - Papa mole, Mama mole, and Baby mole. Papa mole said "I smell coffee!" Mama mole said "I smell biscuits!" & Baby mole said "I smell molasses." (teehee teehee)

Preheat the oven to 425. Line a nine inch pie plate with a pastry crust. With a pastry cutter or a food processor, work together a cup & a half of flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup butter & add 1/2 tsp each cinnamon, cardamon, and nutmeg + 14 tsp sea salt to make a loose floury crumb. In a bowl, dissolve 1/2 tsp baking soda in 3/4 cup warm water and combine with the molasses until the liquid is foamy & the molasses are completely dissolved. Pour the liquid in the pie shell and sprinkle the crumb mixture over, making sure to go all the way to the edge. Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the oven down to 350 and bake for 35 minutes more, or until the center is firm. Serve hot from the oven, or cool on a rack and serve at room temperature.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Sorghum molasses is totemic for me. I never knew of the stuff until my first lunch at Dandyland, when I also learned how to eat biscuits.

Dan Dutton said...

This is a great recipe ~ more like a coffee cake than a pie.

I never knew that there were other kinds of molasses growing up. It was never something we bought from a store - people in the community made them. Now the Mennonite community just West of Dandyland are the only makers I know of. A great thing to watch in the Fall!

crayzmadre said...

Loved the mole joke...sounds just like the kind of thing my dad would say!