Saturday, December 5, 2009

Dandyland in the snow ~







Snow was a nice surprise this morning. I have a bit of a ritual about snow days ~ I like to listen to 2 pieces of music; Debussy's "Footprints in the Snow" (for the mysterious, ancient, vast, feel) & "Snowflakes are Dancing" for the motionless motion of watching it fall.

I couldn't find a YouTube of either of those ~ but I did find this clip of the first movement of his Sonata for Violin and Piano, and it is one of my very favorite pieces of music, and it is somewhat chilly... This is one of the last pieces of music that Debussy completed. He said it was "...an example of what a sick man would write during wartime." He was dying of cancer as he composed it.

This sonata was to be one of series, following the Sonata for Cello and Piano (which I also adore). That he never got to the next in line, a Sonata for Oboe and Harpsichord (two of my favorite instruments) is, for me, one of the great missing things. But perhaps it exists just as vividly in the imagination as it would have on paper or in performance. After all, Debussy claimed to prefer the invisible harmonies evoked by a shepherd's whistling to anything composed by Beethoven.

I think the playing of this lacks a certain winsome moodiness, is a bit strident ~ but still, good.

No comments: