Friday, November 20, 2009

The West End School Workshop:



Among the many wonderful things that happened in Louisville last weekend, courtesy of The Kentucky School of Art, was a visit with the students of the West End School. These amazing young gentlemen agreed to help me figure out how best to stage a dance version of The Battle of Dutton Hill. Their idea, precise, to the point, and perfectly dramatic, was a revelation, and their dancing, superb. I had been told that they were extraordinary students, but nothing could have prepared me for what turned out to be the best school workshop I've ever conducted. My hat, if I had a hat, would be off to all of the West End School students, and their teachers. I am very grateful to them for helping me solve a problem that, quite frankly, had me stumped. This school should be a model for education in Kentucky.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

How cool is that?!? Love the photo.

Dan Dutton said...

It's funny ~ I have a photo of me working with the Secret Commonwealth dancers back in the mid-90s where I'm in exactly the same position, making the same gesture, with the same expression ~ daft, obviously. They are a great group!

Apifera Farm said...

Isn't that so cool- change of perspective, or fresh perspective from others...what a lasting impact you also probably made on them .