Thursday, October 8, 2009

Are you scared yet?























A page from the illustrated children's book version of The Changeling & the Bear

Maybe it was the combination of reddening leaves and overcast skies... It started with a thought about how autumn inevitably brings with it thoughts of death, and a stoic sigh at that. (I've thought about it enough lately, already.) Then somehow the thought dived underground and did a magical switcheroo. I started thinking about Halloween and got into the season. Because, as every child knows, it is fun to be scared, when you're in the mood for it, and it doesn't go too far.... when you know "it" isn't real.

I've decided to look through my flat file for scary art and post some so that you, gentle readers, can indulge with me in the delicious sensation of imagining frightening things from a comfortable distance. Not just visual scariness either, you can hear some here: http://www.dandutton.com/halloween_music.html

("The Graveyard" is the song for the illustration above.)

4 comments:

Cathy said...

So you think you can scare the Mistress? Give it yer best shot.

Dan Dutton said...

Now where did I put that mirror....

Cathy said...

Don't make me get out the nail clippers.

Dan Dutton said...

Hey, wait a minute, I was supposed to be scaring you!

(Alf, she can't reach you through the screen! Come back out from under the bed!)