Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Rock Carriers:



A sketch of the rock carriers who begin the formation of Dutton Hill, under the primeval sea, some 600 million imaginary years ago. They begin standing in tubs of ink, then walk on paper scrolls so that their macrame'd skirts calligraph pace lines as the aeon counters signal passage of time. I suppose they are Salamanders - since in the otherworld of magic they embody submerged creative fire; in the history of substances world ~ tides, currents, floods, mud, sand, and the millions of creatures that will vanish in the space before we arrive at 1845. Their headdresses are willow wand crowns, with contact microphones attached, so that any brushing on the logs suspended at the illusionary waterline above them is a sound event. At the end of their passage, the rocks are dropped on an amplified metal plate.

Pitman Creek is home to the Hellbender, 2nd largest salamander in the world - only Japan has a bigger one. Amphibians, so we're told, were the first vertebrates to emerge from the sea to inhabit the land ~ onto the sort of mudflats that would eventually form the limestone of the hill. I could recount this as a child, but my dad corrected me concerning the source of the Dutton Hill rocks. Those arrived when the Devil, flying over with a load of rocks, broke an apron string and dropped them.

This dance reconciles the two origin stories.

15 comments:

William said...

Funny, my dad was a geologist, and we had that discussion backwards.

William said...

When did the Wamisoppers (sp?) arrive on Dutton hill?

Dan Dutton said...

The Wamisoppers were always said to have been there already, claimed to have been there longer than they remembered, and since their artifacts (such as snake-shaped spoons and shalishes) were looted before they could be properly excavated, speculation's all we're left with. Soon after Jus & Gravy would be my guess, or around the discovery of alcohol.

Mary Beth said...

Will the paper scrolls be used as background later in the play? I know I would be longing to see the trails of ink and trying to understand why they were being made.

Dan Dutton said...

All the objects that enter the space should have their own progression & history in the work ~ tho much of the 2nd half is still too mysterious to me to say just how.

Cathy said...

Wamisoppers? You Kentucky boys need to 'splain that one for us Yankees.

Dan Dutton said...

Legendary tribe ~ lived (really lived) in wigwams, drank fermented bubbling beverages from shalishes and sopped up food.

William said...

Some speculate the Wamisoppers hey day may have been in the early 1990s (AD).

Dan Dutton said...

Some speculate they vanished because they were unable to find their way out of their wigwam.

Cathy said...

You know, I think my great-great- grandmother might have been abducted by Wamisoppers.

SBD said...

How I am missing all this fun?

Cathy said...

Because you're busy beating me at Scrabble!

Dan Dutton said...

Oh I remember her ~ eventually she was renamed "Laughed at Ransom".

Cathy said...

Yep, that was my bubbe! Explains why my family's gefilte fish tastes...different.

Dan Dutton said...

I never g'felt a fish I didn't like. (Old Wamisopper saying.)