Thursday, April 30, 2009

Strawberry Rhubarb Butoh:



As a relief to the psyche take-apart-and-remake of the tuesday butoh dance sessions in the studio - here's a recipe for filling a strawberry rhubarb pie:

Cut 2 cups of one inch chunks of rhubarb stalks, and two of halved strawberries, more or less. Mix a cup of sugar with a half cup of flour, 1/2 tsp of cardamon, 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg, a pinch of salt &, perhaps, some grated orange or lemon peel. Add the dry ingredients to the rhubarb and strawberries and tumble it enough just to coat. Put that in a pie shell, add a lattice if you can, brush the lattice with half cream/half egg, sprinkle with sugar and bake. Eat.

Sankai Juku is one of the great Butoh groups ~

7 comments:

Cathy said...

That is SUCH a beautiful pie! I'm hoping there will be rhubarb at the farmers' market this weekend.

Dan Dutton said...

It tasted divine. Perfect spring fare.

Kim Perkins said...

my mouth is watering! (I've never had rhubarb anything tho) I've no doubt It's yummy.

Dan Dutton said...

This pie would be a perfect intro to rhubarb. Shane told me he didn't like strawberry rhubarb pie, but he'd try it - then he converted and requested seconds.

Apifera Farm said...

Um, does this mean you're getting ready for Pino Pie Day?

My rhubarb was planted last year. I've read from some online things I should not pick it for 2 years- any truth do you think? Fortunately, the mail woman is bringing me some - in time for a pie I need to bake for a Wednesday guest.

Apifera Farm said...

Oh, excse, Kim - I don't know you, but you must have a rhubarb pie! It is a rite of spring.

Dan Dutton said...

My dad loved rhubarb (the plants I have are ones he brought from his homeplace) & sometimes Cebah would just cook and sweeten it for him to eat just by itself - like Greek spoon sweets.