Saturday, April 11, 2009

Deitscher Marmor (Pennsylvania Dutch Marbled Eggs):




For Isaac's art lesson this morning we made some marbled eggs for Easter. The recipe is old, from Germany. The term "Deitscher Marmor" means faux marble German style. It's done with onion peels.

You need the dry peels from yellow onions - about a cup or so. Soak the biggest pieces in cold water for a few minutes to soften them a little, then wrap them randomly around the eggs. If the eggs are exposed here and there, it looks good. Wrap the peel-wrapped eggs with string like a crazy spider, and tie them up. Put the eggs in a non-reactive pan, put in all the rest of the peels and barely cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer them for about 20 minutes. The peels will dye the water dark brown. Take the eggs out, cut the strings, and unwrap. Wash them off in cold water & you have marbled eggs. If you boil the eggs in an iron pot, the color will be dark olive green.

6 comments:

Cathy said...

I used to make these when I was a kid but I never realized they were German! What fun.

Dan Dutton said...

Really?! How neat! The method may well have a larger spread in Europe than just Germany - & of course it wouldn't have been "Germany" in the old days. I'm guessing that using onion skins for dye is really old. It works beautifully with wool too, & that's how I first learned about it, back when Ruth Ann was dying homespun wool with plant dyes.

Cathy said...

I picked up a Greek cookbook this morning and opened it at random to...Onion-Boiled Eggs! The technique is a bit different: line the bottom of a saucepan with onion skins, add eggs, cover with more skins, add olive oil and salt; fill pan with water and simmer for 4 hours. The shelled eggs look like faux marble.

The dish is credited to the Jewish community of Thessaloniki.

Nancy said...

I have a lot of chickweed that needs pulling. What did the dutch cook with the chickweed?

Dan Dutton said...

There's a chickweed pie, & I'm dying to try it. I'll send you the receipt in email.

SBD said...

I will filter my garbage more closely~~~~~