Monday, April 27, 2009

Aftermath:

Aftermath:

The irony is I could give a damn
Whether the soul-force remaining
In your
Butternut dog’s liver
Is consumed or not. It grew on the thrill
Of power unleashed, teenage and twenty something
Mannerbunds of thieves, fitted out with
Rifles, pistols, bayonets, buttons, and flags,
Bullet whistles, seeing eyes go blank – so they fell,
And I’d say to Hell with them.

Someone’s child, oh lord,
No one watching .

Black man you called nigger
Three hours ago has to drag
your sorry ass cross the ground,
Half thawed to mud, strewed with
Peach petals down the aisle of Dead
To your belle wedding –
You spend the night in the arms
Of rot’s kiss, hero.
Stack you here in a row with the rest of em.

Someone’s child, oh lord,
No one watching.

Deep dark they smell it and come
Diving down through the cone
Of blue skili fire with that boneless shriek –
Put on wings in their sleep
And eat subtracted hours -
Packing the war sweet in their craw of days –
years picked apart and gulped like jelly
with their see-through beaks
before the lingering life-force
in the guts can flee
into the decency of worms.

Someone’s child, oh lord,
No one watching.

No, the only reason I’ll
Sit here all night
And half-way freeze, keeping
This little red fire so’s
I can see
Is not because you’ve earned
A guard of me. You not worth the crop
Of corn you tried to take – that was
My back bent to raise - I’m just
Keeping the bad from getting worse.
I ain’t your slave.

Someone’s child, oh lord,
No one watching but me.

8 comments:

Cathy said...

Goddamn, Dan. (Wow isn't enough for this one.)

Cathy said...

Sorry, I wasn't done yet.

I hope you've fully emerged from what you had to plunge into to write this. Possession is scary.

The nod to Prometheus is perfect.

Dan Dutton said...

Thanks! Jeez, I've earned an expletive. : )

It's strange making this ~ & I'm just now really getting the hang of it. (pardon the ... you know...) Maybe it's the law of inversion, but I feel light and easy as it comes out. But I know it's deep & getting deeper - hang on to my kite string!

Nancy said...

Is this a song?

Dan Dutton said...

We don't know yet! (I'm just starting to work on the music for YACB...) Maybe!

SBD said...

I heard a song too... this poem/song withered my brian...powerful stuff...

SBD said...

brain...gone, don't you see/

Kim Perkins said...

Amazing. You've tapped it.