Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Six life drawings:












































































































These drawings show how different a single face can look, though whether that is because of the face or my drawing I can't say. The one with the hat was done with conte crayons ~ black, white, and sanguine (that's why the eyes are reddish in the drawing, rather than green, as they were in life.) I think the book reading drawing is the most technically accomplished, and the quickest done - the lines are assured, but freely handled. . Reading is one of those rare activities that are still, but engaged. Note the long fingers - they are not exaggerated. The book is James Joyce's "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man". The eyelashes in #2, "the Faun", are pretty impressive - & sultry. I cannot see well enough to do that kind of work now - sigh! If you look closely at the eyes in #1 you can see a little reflected self-portrait. #4, "Ariel" - I think is the most romantic.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

God, he was beautiful. Or he appears so when filtered through your attention!

Dan Dutton said...

I have seen fellows AS beautiful, but never one more so. Oddly, when we first met, I thought he was kind of ordinary looking. Then I looked closer...

SBD said...

BEWARE. Beauty is only skin deep, as your mother would say!
He does make a divine portrait.
He had a wounded, but beautiful soul

Dan Dutton said...

AND grandma said (ha! to CEBAH...) "Pretty is as pretty does." And yes, I agree, the beauty of his soul matched the lovely boundary of it - I wouldn't have loved him for the physical beauty alone. What I'm seeing, looking back at these now, is something that I think he knew, and approved of; we put the love into the art, where it can still be seen.

SBD said...

A lovely sentiment. A perfect way to seal a deal of fate, life and love...Immortalize it in art. Timeless.