Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Other Loves:



I didn't think that I still had an example of the sort of drawings I did earlier in my teens, mostly of birds and animals, but Cebah did. I was 16 when I did this.

I kept white-footed mice, like this one, as pets when I was a kid. They live in the woods, typically, are native to N. America, and are much sweeter-natured than house mice, who came over with the other Europeans. They look cuter too, because they have bigger eyes suited to their mostly nocturnal lifestyle. Their coats are golden brown, with white undersides, and that looks a bit more splendid than housemouse dun too.

I did a number of drawings of owls that I kept as pets - but I traded those (the drawings, that is, I would not trade an owl...) for a set of art history books.

4 comments:

Alan Evil said...

I really like that one.

Dan Dutton said...

Once I found this one I remembered that I did a nest of baby rabbits that was really neat. Wish I knew where it went to!

& the pileated woodpecker I found frozen near natural arch...

Mary Beth said...

Holy Heavens! This was the work of a 16 year old Dan? I'm so utterly floored and awed!

Dan Dutton said...

What I remember about these pencil drawings of animals was the feeling of persistence they required. I had to make myself knuckle down and go hair by hair.
And I knew that THAT sort of drawing, in the 70s, was not considered Art by art critics - but a particularly unenlightened variety of illustration. As it turned out, the lesson of persistence was an important one!