Thursday, February 5, 2009

Let's go to the Circus:






















Back in 1980 my then new friend Steve Wilson called and invited me to go to the circus with him and his son. I took a sketchbook with me and made some quick drawings of the performers and animals. There was an aged lady clown, a bit down in the dumps looking, with a bunch of tiny dogs on leashes, that I couldn't resist. I like the way the Chihuahua she's holding in one hand is drawn, and I think I caught her resigned-to-life-in-the-circus look.



This is the only camel I've ever drawn.

There must have been something prescient in Steve's choice of outing, there's been something of the circus in many of the adventures we've had since ~ such as a glamorous Halloween party we went to a few years back. By that time Steve had his own camel. The costumes are the actual ones used in filming "Lawrence of Arabia", sized for us and shipped from Hollywood. Taking a camel on the red carpet is something only Steve would think of. This was at the time of Bush's bogus scare tactic statement about "yellow cake uranium" - so I baked a yellow cake to take with me. The only person at the party who got the joke (it was, scarily, in honor of a right wing representative, but for a park charity...) - was a bartender, who burst out laughing when he saw it. Steve said the cake was good, but he liked chocolate better. He! What fun times! Anyway, that's me on the FAR LEFT.

We won the costume contest.

6 comments:

Cathy said...

I didn't realize you'd known Steve that long.

Amos and I had a brief but intense fling when JB took me to Woodland Farm. I felt so bad for him, all alone with none of his kind for company.

Dan Dutton said...

I think Steve was working for J. Y. Brown, then governor, when we met. JB was a little boy!

Cathy said...

So that was years before LL, right?

You know, I never did see a photo of the birthday cake you made for him.

Dan Dutton said...

There was a photo, I think, but I don't have it. I still have my sketch for the design.

SBD said...

The Voice Tribune has a photo of the cake, the wretches...

SBD said...

PS: JB has opened a gallery on E market....