Thursday, December 11, 2008

D.H.D. ~ The Golden Oak:

























Here's the altered sketch for the first D.H.D. Oak painting/collage. The idea came in part from looking at a carpentry manual that he used, and which I suspect came from his father, also a seventh son, also a Daniel. One, maybe both of them were Masons. One of the concepts of masonic lore, late 19th century spiritualism cloaked in Egyptian imagery, is that God is the master architect, with the supreme level and square. Power is a getting things right - accurate joints, proper handling of well chosen materials, a master plan. How did this square in his mind with the supernatural power to heal? What I've read of Pennsylvania Dutch healers puts the crux at faith - though there is some sense that the power can be automatic, a matter of following certain procedures in the correct order - knowing the words to speak. And even within communities where such powers are relatively common, there are reservations as to where the power originates from, and disagreements as to whether it is sanctioned by the bible or not.
























I haven't identified any example of his hand writing with certainty, but he did carve his initials on the (oak) handle of one of the chisels in his toolbox.

4 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Oh my gosh...I know I'm project my own families past inot this but.....

Part of how men survived at Camp Douglas was the discovery that both they and the guards were masons. Mason prisoners were afforded a "nicer" barracks and a bit more humane treatment due to "brotherhood."

While I do not if great-great grandfather was a Mason, his elder brother, John was. John was a Surgeon with the 1st KY Cav., CSA

Dan Dutton said...

Projection is exactly one of the functions of You'll Always Come Back ~ in one way it is a virtual world constructed to be especially inviting to a certain complex of projections ~ so project away!

I still have to go through the Masonic lodge records here to find out the details - but there were a number of masonic-related things in The Old House. There was an engraved snuff box with the masonic emblems & the name Robert Mason - 1860. I don't know who it belonged to tho!

SBD said...

There is a strong desire in me to touch the initials....

Dan Dutton said...

There's no doubt left in me that D.H.D. was an extraordinary person. There are so many mysteries about him ~ the biggest being how hidden he was... but I can well imagine that his children didn't know what to make of him.