Thursday, October 16, 2008

Rock n Roll Will Never Die:





Neil Young and Crazy Horse: Out of the Blue

Halloween, and Dias de los Muertos, both popular with skeletons, are coming up, and those of us with the expansive capacity, (or luxury) to see the humorous edge of mortality, enjoy a little spooking.

We're planning a big celebration of Dias de los Muertos here at our public library, hoping to encourage everyone in our community to learn some Spanish or English, and enjoy the enriching presence of our Spanish-speaking residents and visitors. In a moment of insanity, I also agreed to make something for the Dias de los Muertos celebration at the Kentucky Museum of Art and Craft in Louisville. As soon as I hung up the phone from that rash move, I began wondering what on earth I could do in such a short time. It was tempting to work on something from "You'll Always Come Back", the family history project. After all, a big part of Dias de los Muertos is remembering and honoring the ancestors, often with gorgeous altars decorated with marigolds and cockscomb. (Both originated in the famous flower gardens of the Aztecs - it is believed that the roots of the modern Dias de los Muertos begin in the ancient days of pre-Hispanic Mexico, and its likely the use of these flowers for that purpose dates to those times.)

But since I've been playing some Rock n Roll-influenced music these days, with Secretsea, my day of the dead musings fixed on a novel phenomena anyone who has lately seen the Rolling Stones may have noticed ~ Rock n Roll, the quintessential music of youth, has gotten way old.

But in the Skeleton World, it retains the same gungho frenzy for eternity. That is the subject of this new painting, which I've titled after a line in another great Rock n Roll old-timer's song - "Rock and Roll Will Never Die" (Neil Young ~ Katherine's fav. When Cathy and I were at Apifera, she mentioned worrying about Neil kicking the bucket. Neil could lead a skeleton band like The Bones easily - his guitar playing has always had a bit of the funereal crunch about it, ("Vampire Blues") or tragic melodicism when it's pretty - ("I've seen the needle and the damage done").

So here' s few images of the painting:






















































Skeletophiles may also enjoy "Letters From Death" - a webart piece that William & I made of papercut images and (mostly wry) poems about death.

11 comments:

Cathy said...

Ack, I'm old.

Such fun, Danny! I'm always up for a belly laugh at hell's expense. This reminds me of The Farmer's Curst Wife.

Dan Dutton said...

Not as old as Keith Richards ~ but then no one is...

This is a relative of The Farmer's Curst Wife ~ both of them have roots in Brueghal & Bosch, as well as Mexico. I'll hunt down the fabulous Brueghal painting of skeletons & link it when I get a chance.

This painting was a toss off, but it is the first one since The Faun that I really like.

Dan Dutton said...

Brueghel with an "e"! (sorry!) The painting, one of my all time favorites, is The Triumph of Death.

Mary Beth said...

To quote Mr. Young,

"Hey hey, my my
rock 'n roll can never die
theres more to the picture
than meets the eye
hey hey my my "

Mary Beth

SBD said...

Jaxon is here and he thinks.....music! He tried to click on the painting....he said, does Uncle Dan know how to YOUTUBE? Not too old for that are ye?

Cathy said...

He has YouTubed! Videos of the old studio demolition. I was mightily impressed by Uncle Dan's tech-savvy.

Dan Dutton said...

You're right ~ we need Neil on youtube singing too ~ I'll have to drag out my lp of Rust Never Sleeps to see what the two titles were. (oh yea, I could use the puter... or better yet, Katherine, rescue us! - you know every Neil song by heart right.) The song appears twice, as bookends, an opener and a reprise.

Dan Dutton said...

The version I posted is from the Fuji music festival in Japan.

Apifera Farm said...

Hmmm, are you tryin to taunt me into qouting each of his songs. I know 'em all. I do have a handy Neil site I frequent in times of need- Thrasher News. One can get lyrics to all songs..."I won't retire but i might retread..." You do know I just did some air guitar concerts with Huckleberry here in the studio. I think if I held Old Balck in my arms I just might explode. Your post made my day. If I didn't have a landline, oh gosh the You Tubing I could do. But perhaps I'll try.

SBD said...

Jaxon and I say: COOL! we think this is the coolest blog, ever...MORE!
We just got home from Target where we purchased a little puppy that one can play and ipod through...it wags its tail, blinks all sorts of colors and goes woof!woof! Also, his little right front paw keeps time.....
Do I lead a charmed life or what????

SBD said...

drop the d on and!!!!