Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Amphibious Vehicle:



Speaking of amphibians, one of the neat things about the net for me has been that I discovered that there are two more Daniel Duttons, both in the U.K., both with brilliant & delightfully dry senses of humor, and both of whom were so kind as to write and propose solidarity in our shared name. I had to concede to be called Daniel2, in concession to the obvious juvenility of one of my dear others, but I delight in both of them. We're just a clic now, but we're hoping to grow into a movement.

The other Daniel (see how confusing it can be?) recently sent me this fascinating tidbit.

I'm not usually attracted to automobiles, but I'll have to admit I want one of these. And I have a great childhood memory of something similar - A friend of my oldest brother Bobby took us for a ride in his new convertable when I was maybe 7 or 8. We drove down to Lake Cumberland, not unusual in itself as a destination, but when, without a word of warning, he drove down a boat ramp and into the lake, I was freaked, astounded, boggled, and thrilled, in that order. We putted around the lake for a turn can drove back out. I don't think that car, whatever model it was, was quite as cool as this one! (and I like yellow too.)

6 comments:

Nancy said...

I was on the Ohio River at the Cox's Park Boat Dock when one of these cars (red) drove down the boat dock and into the water. I was freaked, astounded, boggled, and thrilled, in that order standing on the shore watching. I did not know such cars existed.

Apifera Farm said...

"I am not usually attracted to automobiles"...this line amused me greatly. This car just screams out to have the name The Little Dan That Could.

Dan Dutton said...

I'd have made the blue a reddish violet instead, but otherwise this seems just right to me.

SBD said...

ah, good to have some levity!
On the same note, some years back a young woman from Cardiff, Wales was researching( for college) all the Sarah Duttons she could find... as it turned out, we span the universe.
It was terribly exciting!
After she found us, she asked us do a"day in the life" through photographs...my photographic skills were only advanced to a polaroid...so, I did the day in polaroids....It was easy, as years before that, Dan, Terry, Gabriele, Billy Spencer and moi made a whole movie on a polaroid camera. I still have it!!!!!
Anyway, The young lady assembled all the photographs and had a huge exhibit in Wales, she got a following and the last I heard she was advancing off- beat art all over Europe!
It all begins with a notion or something like a notion....

Cathy said...

I am usually bored to tears by automobiles (an overreaction to Roy's enthrallment to them) but I've always wanted to ride in an amphibious one.

Alan Evil said...

When I was around five we were at a place on the Ohio river and someone had one of these (I believe the one I saw was navy blue but it's so long ago) that they kept driving off the end of a dock into the river.

http://montaraventures.com/pix/amphicar.jpg