Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Woods:

The magician's woods is an example of something rarely seen - a carefully tended woodland. One clue that you're in an extraordinary place is the presence of ginseng - over harvested to near extinction around here. The red berries are helpful in spotting it at this time of year. Of course it's long been considered a magical plant - the Cherokee think highly of it. I've read that the indians carefully managed woodlands here in the east. If that's true, then they might have looked something like this:









4 comments:

Kim said...

I never knew what ginseng looked like! I think I've seen that growing in my woods. I'll have to go check. I love the idea of tending woodland and have been curious in recent years as to how to go about it in my own little patch of woods.

Dan Dutton said...

My friend's place is really extraordinary. I've never seen anything quite like it here - but it's a bit like places I've seen in Europe. He definitely inspired me to work on my woods a little more. I wouldn't go quite as far as he has ~ because I think some areas of wild bramble really increase the land's ability to host a sleu of insects & invertebrates - & of course those are food for more birds, other creatures, etc. Cebah says she likes it a bit wilder too.

Apifera Farm said...

Well you know we like our bramble here!

Pig and Peaches said...

the hills of home are vibrant, more so, since I am in the desert .