Wednesday, September 24, 2008

White Rose:



Not to be outdone by red, today this white rose nominated itself for the dandyland last rose of summer. In the comments on the last post I mentioned Madame Hardy, perhaps the loveliest of the white Old Roses ~ this is not that rose, but there are some similarities. I don't know this rose's name - it's one that I rescued from the bulldozing of an abandoned house. Unlike Madame Hardy, it's a climber, and it doesn't have the distinctive tightly curled button with a green center, or quite the unique lemon-tinted fragrance - tho it does have a lovely scent. Also the petals of this rose remind me a bit of a zinnia, not that that's a bad thing...

It has been so dry that I don't think any of the other Old Roses will offer competition, and not knowing if this rose already has a name, I'm going to call it Madame Katherine, to encourage that budding rosarian.

4 comments:

Alan Evil said...

This year we raised eight or nine different varieties of tomato and I have often compared tasting them next to one another as being similar to smelling all the different roses on the hill there. Each variety of tomato tastes different from the others yet the taste can only be that of a tomato just as each rose has a distinctly different smell but they are unmistakeably roses.

Pig and Peaches said...

alan, such a beautiful and correct sentiment .,.., roses in Santa Fe roses were amazing, but very little smell. I miss all of you. In spite of it all or maybe because of it all, I love each of you so, so much...
Dan, give Mom an extra hug tonight from WFS and me.

Apifera Farm said...

OH! I'm so honored!! I will be so excited to get Dutton Rose Sanctuary going. I am thinking of adding a wood frence around, to go with the already pasture fence and electric wire so Stella and Iris will have further reasons to think 3x before entering.

Dan Dutton said...

This all plays into the dandyland platform (it's a temporary platform...) to have flowers everywhere.
Shouldn't we all be lolling in a meadow of blossoms?