Thursday, August 14, 2008

I got an invitation to blog on this absolutely pristine blog, dandyland muse.
My first entry will be this:

For more years than my fragile memory can count Cebah made me an angel food cake for my birthday.  Each year, just for me.
I called it cotton cake when I was a wee one.  It fascinated me ...possibly my first food revelation.
Cebah would get out the worn red handled egg beater, then break and separate the eggs...dipping out little flecks of yellow with the egg shell.  (She rarely had a speck in her egg whites.)  She could turn the 
beaters so fast my eyes could not follow~~~~~ a sleight of hand.
Suddenly, there was a velvety, thick, white cotton cloud~~~~~~
I always believed Cebah was magic, what more proof did I need?
She would carefully add the sugar, beating and stirring....and then the sifted flour.  More little billows of cottony clouds.  Slowly, she would have the perfect batter and pour it in the angel food cake pan. At last, I could touch it, she would let me smooth the top just before it went into the woodstove oven.  The cake, coveted by all in our county, was a revelation.  The taste, as fine as any cloud, never matched the wonder and amazement of seeing her make that magic cotton cloud.

10 comments:

Cathy said...

So lovely, dear sister.

Please call Cebah and read this to her.

Pig and Peaches said...

You are a darling, no doubt about it...
I will read it to her or perhaps Dan~~~~~

Dan Dutton said...

"It was of Ludla's crawfish souffle that Count Luxus committed his only metaphor. "It is like eating a cloud," he said. His cousin, Count Brock, who had a more searching mind, replied, "But unlike a cloud, it nourishes."

From Sylvia Townsend Warner's "Kingdoms of Elfin."

Pig and Peaches said...

How oh how can you deconstruct a cloud?

Dan Dutton said...

Oh those were elves talking - they can construct or deconstruct anything. It's amazing what they do with shoes.

Pig and Peaches said...

What was it the Monkees said, I'm a believer~~~~~

Cathy said...

I KNEW this would make Dan think of the Sylvia cloud!

Pig and Peaches said...

Are we so entwined as the only logical conclusion is separation at birth?

Cathy said...

We have the same brother...

Pig and Peaches said...

I love the magic of food, some call it science~~